03 September 2013

open heart surgery

I am scheduled for what could very well be my last open heart surgery that I will need to correct my heart condition. I will be receiving a new valve at that time. This valve is expected to last 15+ years, at t hat point they could (by current medical abilities who knows what it will be then) just place a new valve next to the old one by during a cardiac cath.

It has been amazing in so many ways to grow up with a heart defect. It has allowed me to really see how much we have learned over the years about the human body. Many of the ways that they repaired my heart just 35 years ago, they no longer do.

I have to admit that I am very nervous about my surgery. I am worried for my children, especially my young ones who don't fully understand. I worry for my older ones who do understand way too much and are too much like their mom in the worry department. Added to the fact that this past year has been very stressful for all of us.

I do feel confident in God that I will get through this time. That there is still a lot God has for me to do here on this earth. A year and a half ago I started this journey towards surgery and as I was reading God's word I came across these verses. I stand still today confident that this is God's promise to me.

[Phl 1:21-25 NASB] 21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy in the faith,

No comments: